Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Martin Luther King, Jr.…


I had the opportunity to visit the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site today. I spent most of my time at the Visitor’s Center and the King Center. The Visitor’s Center chronicles Dr. King’s life along with segregation, integration and the civil rights movement. I must tell you; there were a number of times that I was moved to tears at the hatred that dominated so much of the United States during these times. It just appalled me to no end to see how something like this could have gone on for so long with a group of people (God’s creation) being treated as less than human. It is just despicable. Walking through the streets of Atlanta, I was thrilled to see the fruits of Dr. King's labor. Don’t get me wrong; I don’t think race relations will ever be perfect, at least until Jesus’ return, but I think we have made major strides in the last thirty years. I was overwhelmed at the influence that Dr. King had and the change that he and those inspired by his life brought about. He is an excellent example of a man who was given a vision from God and carried it out faithfully to the end.

I also visited the King Center and saw Dr. and Mrs. King’s resting place in the middle of a large reflecting pond. The King Center offers displays on Dr. King, Mrs. King, Rosa Parks and Mahatma Ghandi. It focuses on nonviolent social change. Having taught this past year on Matthew 5:38-42, specifically on nonviolent resistance, this was extremely powerful. This inspires me to study more closely Jesus’ teachings and follow them as if he really meant what he said.

No comments: