Saturday, March 8, 2008

letter from new orleans...

I read an article today in Metropolis magazine about the project that Brad Pitt started in New Orleans called Make it Right. It's fascinating to me because it reminds me of the work that Architecture for Humanity is doing around the world. I loved this quote so much that I had to share it. Andrew Blum, a journalist for Metropolis quotes Steven Bingler, founder of Concordia Architecture & Planning, in New Orleans as saying, "If somebody designs a building that people don't want to live in, then I would argue that it's sculpture. And maybe that gets to the point about architecture's role in the twenty-first century: Are we going to continue to create monuments to ourselves, or are we going to start listening? Are we going to develop a different kind of respect?"

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. But man, are we in the minority.

No comments: