Monday, July 30, 2007

blood diamond...


I watched Blood Diamond last night. It was an excellent movie, although my recommendation comes with a heavy warning. The movie is filled with harsh language and violence. However, I think through that is communicated an amazing story of a family caught in the middle of the diamond war in Africa.

What was so disturbing and moving to me was the depiction of Africa itself in the midst of the turmoil of civil war and senseless killing of innocent people. I was so convicted last night after watching the film that I began praying for the people of Africa; not just those who live on the west coast where this film was set, but for those in Darfur and other areas that are experiencing similar situations.

I realize that this was simply a movie, but the most shocking aspect of it for me was watching families disrupted and ripped apart for greed and violence. Watching young boys being kidnapped and forced into rebel armies where they are strapped with machine guns and forced to kill innocent people just tore my heart out. Although this was just a movie, I hear more and more of these truths as I push beneath the surface of the media's lead stories.

The most memorable quote for me was by a female American journalist in the film that is so distraught by the situation and America's lack of response says, "you might find a minute long story about this on CNN between sports and the weather." I feel as though we must do more to make our voice heard about this genocide and senseless violence so that it will be tolerated no more. But how do you bring peace to a situation where there is no value for human life? Jesus Christ is the only way that I know...

No comments: