Monday, July 9, 2007

Christmas in July...


It's hard to think about Christmas this time of year, especially after the temperatures we had today, but I was browsing Rick McKinley's blog site and found this link.




I am really excited about the possibility of joining in with this at The Village and encouraging others to come aboard. I have been struggling over the past few years with the consumerism of Christmas especially since my daughter has begun to associate love with people buying her things. I think this is a great opportunity for us to focus on the meaning of Christmas by remembering how Jesus came to us and lived out His ministry on earth. This is a great opportunity for us to be missional walkers instead of just talkers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mike, It is awesome that you posted this. I had come across the site fairly recently myself and definitely thought it was something that we should consider getting involved with.

The whole not just being missional talkers, but being missional walkers has been on my mind constantly lately. During Sunday school yesterday we were discussing how anger should be focused on things that really are worth getting angry about and when that happens we can not only help make a difference in the world, but won't let the little petty things get to us so much. I thought that this was very interesting and it goes along with my thinking lately that if we focus our energies and our hearts on helping others who are really in need it will also make us much more thankful for and just truly appreciative of the blessings in our own lives. Helping those who are truly in need would make it much harder to take these blessings for granted or be upset about the little bumps in the road of our daily lives.